How much money we have raised for charity (Last updated 9/5/2016):
- Last 7 days: $150.00
- Last 30 days: $150.00
- Forever: $450.00
Our Donation Philosophy
We focus our donations on a few causes both our fans are passionate about and prove to make the world a better place. If you feel your cause is aligned with Rawr! for a Reason, please feel free to contact us. We love to support new organizations.
Causes we focus on:
- Decreasing poverty. Over 860 million people live below the $1.90 a day international poverty line.1 Instead of directly giving money to those in poverty, we invest in solutions that prove to bring people out of poverty like improving public health and building infrastructure. It takes only $3,500 for the Against Malaria Foundation to improve public health by saving a life from malaria.2 Engineering Without Borders creates water pipe infrastructure that brings clean drinking water to roughly 10% of the world’s population without it.3
- Increasing individual liberty. It is hard to imagine living without the basic human rights and freedom our team takes for granted. The Polaris Project works to free over 4.5 million people who are trapped in forced sexual exploitation.4 The freedom to choose who you love is illegal 75 countries of which 10 can punish homosexuality with death.5 The Astraea Lesbian Foundation for Justice fights to educate and fix LGBT rights violations in many of these 75 countries.
- Increasing educational and entrepreneurial opportunity. Economic mobility through entrepreneurship and education prove to be two of the most effective ways to break the poverty trap preventing hundreds of millions of people from thriving.6 Kiva gives the opportunity for economic mobility to over 2 million people actively looking to change their situation.7 Books for Africa brings educational resources to the 46 million children in Africa that haven’t stepped inside a classroom.8
- Short term results and long term benefits. We focus on causes that immediately benefit those in need and leave positive effects that ripple for generations. For example, saving a mom from malaria provides her children with greater chances of success.
- Integrity. We only donate to causes with 4-star Charity Navigator ratings or whose organizations are open and audited to ensure our donations are making the world a better place.
- Non-politicalness. We understand some causes are inherently more political than others but we don’t give money for lobbying. We focus on making the world a better place one individual at a time.
Causes we are a big fan of:
- To see a full list of when and how much we have donated to which causes — click here.
- Charity Navigator — We give them 1% of all donations
- Doctors Without Borders
- Engineers Without Borders
- Against Malaria Foundation
- Polaris Project
- Astraea Lesbian Foundation for Justice
- School On Wheels
- Books for Africa
The list of the charities we have donated to:
Rawr! For A Reason Donation Log
|6/27/2016||Kiva.org||$150.00||https://www.kiva.org/team/rawr_for_a_reason||Dave Applegate re-directed his normal Kiva donations to the Rawr! for a Reason Kiva team to kickstart our giving|
|7/28/2016||Kiva.org||$125.00||https://www.kiva.org/team/rawr_for_a_reason||Dave Applegate re-directed his normal Kiva donations to the Rawr! for a Reason Kiva team to kickstart our giving|
|8/29/2016||Kiva.org||$150.00||https://www.kiva.org/team/rawr_for_a_reason||Dave Applegate re-directed his normal Kiva donations to the Rawr! for a Reason Kiva team to kickstart our giving|
1World Development Indicators database. http://data.worldbank.org. (accessed September 1, 2016)
2Against Malaria Foundation (AMF). http://www.givewell.org/international/top-charities/amf. (accessed September 2, 2016)
3Progress on Sanitation And Drinking Water: 2010 Update. http://www.unicef.org/eapro/JMP-2010Final.pdf. (accessed August 24 , 2016)
4ILO Global Estimate of Forced Labor. http://www.ilo.org/wcmsp5/groups/public/—ed_norm/—declaration/documents/publication/wcms_182004.pdf. (accessed August 23, 2016)
5ILGA A World Survey of Laws: criminalisation, protection and recognition of same-sex love. http://old.ilga.org/Statehomophobia/ILGA_State_Sponsored_Homophobia_2015.pdf. (accessed September 2, 2016)
6The Challenge of World Poverty. http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/economics/14-73-the-challenge-of-world-poverty-spring-2011/. (accessed September 9, 2016)
7Kiva by the numbers. https://www.kiva.org/about. (accessed August 14, 2016)
8Why Books? https://www.booksforafrica.org/why-books.html. (accessed August 24, 2016)